With the weather being cold and wet, and children not being able to get outside as much on the weekends, why not make up your own batch of playdough to keep them entertained!
We have found the children have almost as much fun making the playdough as they do playing with it. Jess in our Grasshoppers Room is known for her amazing playdough making skills, and she has provided us with her special recipe for a batch of playdough that will last for weeks if stored correctly!
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 cup of salt
- 4 tbs of cream of tartar
- Food colouring of choice – a few drops
- 2 tbs of oil
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add water and food colouring, and mix into dry ingredients until you have a nice dough.
- Add the oil, folding it into the dough until it is entirely absorbed.
- Add extra flour or water to alter consistency of playdough.
- Add some cookie cutters, kitchen utensils, or even natural items such as leaves, sticks and stones for hours of entertainment and learning for your child.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature when you are not using!
For something extra special, you can also add in food essence for a beautiful smelling playdough.
We like to match the essence to the colour of the play dough – such as adding strawberry essence to pink playdough.
Whilst we don’t recommend eating playdough – this playdough is safe for children if they do happen to ingest it.