Jenny’s ELC is working with SunSmart to keep your children protected from sunburn and heatstroke! With the warmer weather slowly coming back, we love taking the children outdoors for play on the playground, in the garden and on excursions within the local community. It’s fantastic when our children can get a little bit of Vitamin D and fresh air!
Something we always keep in mind when taking the children outdoors is sun safety. Sun Smart has a collection of great resources for you and your young ones this summer!
During the daily local sun protection times (issued whenever UV levels are three and above), use these 5 SunSmart steps – even if it’s cool and cloudy.
- Slip on a shirt – dress your child in clothing that covers as much skin as possible (e.g. elbow length tops with a higher neckline or collar and longer style shorts or skirts). Densely woven fabrics are best.
- Slop on SPF 30 (or higher) broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen – apply a generous amount of sunscreen at the start of the day and provide permission for sunscreen to be reapplied to your child before they go outdoors. From 3 years of age, please help your child apply their own sunscreen so they can start to learn independent skills.
- Slap on a hat – one that protects the face, neck and ears such as a broad brimmed, legionnaire or bucket style hat. Peak caps do not offer enough protection and are not recommended by SunSmart. Please help your child remember to bring and wear their approved sun hat.
- Seek shade – choose shady spots for play whenever possible.
- Slide on some sunglasses – if practical and approved by the service. Make sure they are labelled AS 1067 and cover as much of the eye area as possible.
Sun Protection Times
Don’t just wait for hot and sunny days to use sun protection. Check the sun protection times each day so your family can be protected when they need to be.
For further information contact SunSmart
P: 03 9514 6419